Tuesday, October 8, 2013

UPDATE: Kitten feeling ill, so home search temporarily on hold

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone who has read about Tuna and to those who have emailed me. (Redditors, Facebook friends and friends-of-friends -- you are all wonderful! Thislittle blog has received over 1,200 hits in a just over a day!)

Unfortunately, the little guy came down with something and is pretty sick right now. I took him to the vet (Atlas Vet) today because he hadn't eaten since Saturday and was throwing up. They tested him for feline leukemia and FIV (negative on both counts - whew), so right now we're treating the symptoms and hoping he'll show improvement by tomorrow. My big fear is that he picked up distemper before I got a hold of him, but the vet said there isn't a simple test for that since he received a vaccine last week. (I guess the vaccine would show up?)

As of now, though, I'm giving him medicine, feeding him by hand with a syringe, and monitoring his hydration levels (he was re-hydrated at the vet). I think he is looking and feeling a bit stronger, but his appetite hasn't returned.

What all this means is the home search is on hold until he's feeling better. If I haven't replied to your email, it's because I'm a little swamped with his care plus my normal duties as a law student. (Blegh.) I will reply, though, I promise!

Again, thanks to everyone who has shown support, even those who can't take him in but just sent me a note. Animal lovers are the best!

Tuna feeling a little under the weather -- but is still adorable and oh so snuggly.
Ellie in the waiting room at the vet. She went to the appointment to lend moral support.