Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sad News: Tuna passed away last week

It was hard on me to lose the little guy. That's why it took me a little while to post this update. But I wanted to let those following along what happened...
Tuna passed away last week from an unknown illness. We know it wasn't feline leukemia, FIV, or parvo. (FYI: Many of these illnesses can be prevented by giving your cat the standard series of shots AND THEN following up with the appropriate boosters.) 
Personally, I think Tuna had giardia and he was just too young to fight it despite the medicine and hand-feeding. I took him to the vet where he was re-hydrated and we thought he was getting better the next day, but late at night he plummeted. I rushed him to a 24-hour veterinarian hospital, but he passed away before they could start treatment. 
I only had Tuna for eight days, but he was a real delight to know. A truly special kitten who loved to hang out and snuggle with people, but especially loved any time he spent with Ellie, my dog. He was a confident guy, and very trusting. It was amazing to me that within a span of only a few hours he went from a terrified kitten under a bush, to a bathed kitten asleep in my lap.

Tuna also reminded me of the good in people. Just one day after posting this little blog and spreading the word via Facebook and Reddit, it had over 1200 hits. I received thoughtful emails from people wanting to adopt him, or just offer their encouragement in finding a good home. I want to encourage those interested in adopting Tuna to look at www.Petfinder.com for another kitten. There are more kitten/cats than homes in the DC area.

Tuna's last day was spent curled up on blankets in a box on my desk, or pressed against Ellie on my bed while the three of us napped. It was only eight days, but I'm sure going to miss the little guy. 
 A little video of Tuna in his healthier days.